Burton and South Derbyshire College has a statutory and moral duty to ensure that the College safeguards and promotes the welfare of children and young people receiving education and training at the College. It extends this responsibility to incorporate the needs of vulnerable adults.
This policy and its associated procedure also aims to ensure that safer recruitment practices are in place and the approach to dealing with allegations against staff and others coming into contact with learners is effective.
We have clear expectations regarding behaviour in relation to learners which cover:-
• Lines of communication
• Language - verbal & written.
• Physical contact.
• Working alone with learners.
• Behaviour and attitude.
• Use of Sanction.
• Whistle Blowing.
Burton and South Derbyshire College is committed to safeguarding all our learners from harm. As a visitor/contractor we ask that you support us by:
• Ensuring you wear your visitor/contractor lanyard at all time and keeping to the boundaries of the purpose of your visit.
• Being escorted by a staff member at all times.
• Being mindful of your own behaviours in relation to learners.
• Acting promptly if you observe or are approached by a learner in distress.
If you have any concerns.
• Do not promise confidentiality.
• Tell a member of the Safeguarding Team immediately.*
• Tell the learner what you are doing and why.
• Do not investigate.
• Make a record of any conversation.
Senior Designated Person: John Beaty ext. 4470
Sandy Lang ext. 4418
Anthony Hemmings ext. 4475
Katy Broomfield ext. 4479
Designated Governor: Amir Kabal
* Reception will always locate a member of the Safeguarding Team for you.